Studying Abroad Winter Quarter
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT YOUR HOUSING PRIOR TO AND AFTER YOUR STUDY ABROAD PROGRAM
Leaving at the End of the Quarter
- You need to notify College Housing that you will be leaving to participate in a UChicago sponsored study abroad program by the Friday of tenth week in Autumn Quarter.
- You need to vacate your room and check out no later than 12pm noon on the final Saturday of the quarter (including Granville-Grossman and International House residents).
- You may store belongings in the storage room of your current building for the quarter you are away provided that you return a housing contract/application into our office for the Spring Quarter.
- Your room & board contract will be canceled on the last day of Autumn Quarter. No cancellation fee is charged to participants in University sponsored study abroad programs.
Returning to College Housing
- If you know you would like to return to College Housing when you return, please turn in a Housing Application/Contract Card and Housing Preference Sheet to College Housing. There is no deadline to do this, but it is often easiest to turn in the Housing Application/Contract Card before you leave at the end of the Autumn quarter.
- College Housing will make your room assignment during Spring Break. Once your assignment is made, you will be expected to reside in College Housing for the remainder of the academic year.
Your Housing Application/Contract Card is a binding contract and you will not be able to cancel it. Please read the Terms and Conditions of your housing contract for additional information.
- If you are not satisfied with the room that you are assigned, you can sign up to be on the General Waitlist upon your return to campus. Please note however that the General Waitlist is only open through the first week of Spring Quarter. No room changes are allowed after the second week of Spring Quarter.
Returning to Your House
Below are four ways to return to your current House when you resume your studies in Chicago. While College Housing will not hold your room while you are abroad, we provide several ways for you to select a room that is preferable to you from the spaces we have available at the end of the quarter.
You can be pulled-in to a room with a vacancy during end-of-quarter room changes in late February.
If you have a friend who intends to pull you into a room at the end of the Winter quarter, indicate this on your Housing Preference Sheet. Your friend will need to contact College Housing in late February to complete a Roommate Pull-in form.
You can participate in your current House’s end-of-quarter lottery in late February if rooms are available.
In an email sent out during 6th week of the quarter that you are away College Housing will notify you of the deadline to contact us to request to participate in your former House’s In-House Lottery.
You can participate in the “Study Abroad Lottery.” The lottery will be held during Finals Week, via email.
We will provide you with a lottery number, based on seniority, and a list of vacancies which are available, and you will be able to rank which rooms you would like to reserve. There are two phases in this lottery: the Building Study Abroad Lottery and the General Study Abroad Lottery. The lottery number which we will assign you is the same for both lotteries.
You can request to return to your House on the Housing Preference Sheet.
While we cannot guarantee that there will be spaces available in your current House, know that we try very hard to accommodate specific housing requests when making housing assignments.
As it applies to the Spring Lottery and In-House room changes, if you return to the same House in which you were living in Autumn quarter, you retain all accrued seniority in that House, including your quarter abroad. You continue to accrue quarters in the College as long as you are on a University-sponsored study abroad program.
The Assignments Manager in College Housing will send further instructions in February via email about how to return to College Housing in Spring quarter. Please take care to meet the deadlines that will be included in that message.