John and Barbara Boyer House
John Boyer and Barbara Juskevich met while undergraduate students at Loyola University Chicago. Both had grown up on the South Side and were the first in their families to attend college. They graduated in June 1968 and were married in August of the same year.
Boyer, AM’69, PhD’75, and dean of the College and the Martin A. Ryerson Distinguished Service Professor of History, came to the University of Chicago to do graduate work in history and stayed on as a faculty member. He was appointed dean of the College in 1992 by President Hanna H. Gray and began his fifth term in 2012. He is the longest-serving College dean in University history.
Improving student life—including building new residence halls—has been one of his major goals as dean. Fifty members of the College’s Visiting Committee joined forces to name Boyer House in the couple’s honor. The Visiting Committee’s gift also endowed Metcalf Internships and an Odyssey Scholarship in their names.
Boyer specializes in the history of the Habsburg Empire and Central Europe in the 19th and 20th centuries and the history of higher education. His books include Political Radicalism in Late Imperial Vienna: Origins of the Christian Social Movement, 1848-1897; Culture and Political Crisis in Vienna: Christian Socialism in Power, 1897-1918; Karl Lueger (1844-1910); and The University of Chicago: History.
Barbara Boyer taught high school briefly before attending graduate school in English at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She held administrative positions in the University’s Department of Statistics and the Center for International Studies before becoming a full-time writer. A new installment of her current project, The Chronicles of Tairne, is published twice a week at chroniclesoftairne.wordpress.com.
The Boyers live in Hyde Park, where the dean can often be spotted cycling around the neighborhood. Barbara prefers tai chi. They have three grown children: son Dominic, LAB’88, AM’94, PhD’00, and twin daughters Alexandra, LAB’96, and Victoria, LAB’96, as well as nine grandchildren.
James Evans, Resident Master
Jeannie Evans, Resident Master
Campus North Residential Commons is located in the northern part of campus, a few minute walk from the main Quadrangles. Together with Smart Museum and Court Theatre, Ratner Athletic Center, and the Henry Crown Field House, the project will transform this key area as an important, attractive, and inviting gateway to the campus.
Total Hall Residents: 800
Campus North Residential Commons will feature double, single, and apartment style rooms. Each House will span three floors with centrally located community space that touches all three floors. Community bathrooms will be located on each floor, along with at least one private single-user bathroom per House.
- 15th floor reading room with spectacular views of lakefront and University
- Music practice rooms
- Study rooms
- Two residential courtyards
- Two centrally located common rooms for programs and events
- Ground level commercial venues that bring new retail to campus community
- Two classrooms with seating for 40 students
- State-of-the-art dining commons open to campus and surrounding community