What to Bring
Welcome to UChicago! This page will provide you with helpful information about preparing for move-in.
The items below are the most frequently utilized by students in the Residence Halls.
Things to Make You Feel at Home:
- Kitchen supplies (plates, cups, and utensils)
- Refrigerator (rent one through bedloft.com. Free delivery and pick-up if ordered by September 3rd)
- Area rugs
- Room decorations, photos
- School supplies
Health Care Needs:
- Your health insurance card
- Your prescribed medicine
- Over-the-counter medicine (allergy medicine, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, cold medicine)
THINGS TO LEAVE AT HOME
The following items are not permitted on campus:
- Electric coffee makers (no external hot plate surfaces) or electric tea kettles
- Electric grills (ie; George Foreman grill
- Gas/charcoal grills
- Halogen floor lamps
- Hot plates
- Microwaves that are not part of a microfridge
- Toasters and toaster ovens
- Refrigerators over 4.0 cubic feet
- Portable heating systems
- Weapons (including paintball guns, decorative weapons/swords, tasers, knives, and athletic weapons such a bow and arrow or fencing weapons)
- Air conditioners
- Amplified musical instruments (may not be played in student rooms)
- Candles, incense, and fireworks
- Hoverboards and Drones
- Soldering equipment
Note: For fire and student safety reasons, loft kits and the lofting of beds is not permitted.
WHAT WILL THE UNIVERSITY PROVIDE?
All rooms are furnished with the following:
- Desk chair
- Land-line telephone
- Book shelving
- Window treatments.
Please note: all student rooms in the Residence Halls are carpeted except for those in International House
All Halls are equipped with coin and credit/debit card operated washers and dryers, access to cable, and computers and printing. Vacuum cleaners, irons, and ironing boards are available for student check out and use.
Please contact College Housing via email firstname.lastname@example.org or via telephone 773-702-7366 with any questions.