Maroon Dollars FAQ
Maroon Dollars allow students, faculty, and staff to use their University IDs like a debit card at any dining commons and most cafés and markets on campus. Each time you make a purchase with Maroon Dollars, money will be subtracted from your personal account. One Maroon Dollar has the buying power of $1.
Maroon Dollars also come with bonuses: a purchase of $100 Maroon Dollars or more will include a 5 percent bonus. A purchase of $250 Maroon Dollars or more will include a 7.5 percent bonus.
All registered students (College, graduate and professional schools), University-affiliated faculty, and staff are eligible to buy Maroon Dollars. Most of the meal plans also include Maroon Dollars.
Maroon Dollars can be used to purchase meals at the residential dining commons (Bartlett and Cathey) and also to purchase food and other items from the following retail locations:
Retail locations Located
- C-Shop (Einstein Bros. Bagels) Reynolds Club
- Hutchinson Commons (Subway, Saffron, etc.) Reynolds Club
- Maroon Market Bartlett Dining Commons
- Midway Market Arley D. Cathey Dining Commons
- Cobb Coffee Shop (student-run café) Cobb Hall
- Ex Libris Coffee Shop (student-run café) Regenstein Library, main floor
- Harper Café (student-run café) Harper Memorial Library
- Hallowed Grounds (student-run café) Reynolds Club
- Harris Café Harris School
- Barnes and Noble Bookstore Cafe University Bookstore
- Bio Café Biological Sciences Learning Center
- Classics Café Classics Building
- Stuart Café Stuart Hall
- Law Café Law School
- Logan Café Logan Arts Center
- Press Café Press Building
- Ratner Juice Bar Ratner Athletic Center
- GCIS Café Gordon Center for Integrative Sciences
- SSA Café Social Service Administration
- Tiffin Café International House
Note: Maroon Dollars are not accepted at the Laboratory Schools, the Booth School of Business Harper Center, the University of Chicago Medical Center or the Divinity School Student Café.
Unused Maroon Dollars will roll over from quarter to quarter during an academic year, but will expire on Convocation Saturday of Spring Quarter. Any remaining balance is non-refundable.
Students who take a leave of absence or withdraw from the University will lose access to their Maroon Dollars account; any remaining balance is non-refundable.
There is a minimum purchase of $25 for each addition to your Maroon Dollars account, and a maximum yearly purchase of $5,000.
These purchases must be made in person at the UChicago Dining Office (Bartlett Hall, Room 111 on the first floor) or at Housing & Residence Life (Campus North Residential Commons). The Dining Office is open Monday-Friday, 8:30am-6:00pm. College Housing is open Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:30pm. Maroon Dollars purchased online cannot be charged to your tuition bill.
Students with meal plans have two separate Maroon Dollar accounts: one is attached to the meal plan, and one contains all additional Maroon Dollar purchases. Once your first account is depleted of all funds, your second account will become active.
For example, if you still have $10 left over from a previous or current meal plan, you will need to spend $10 or more in order to see your new Maroon Dollars when you make a purchase. You can also check online to confirm your current balance.
Please make sure that the address you entered for the transaction matches the billing address associated with the credit card. If you continue to experience problems, please contact the Dining Office at 773-702-1600 or email@example.com.
The GUI Location tells you where your transaction was handled, depending on whether you purchased Maroon Dollars online or in person.
On your transaction history, please select “All Plans” to see these records.If you have any further questions, please contact the Dining Office at 773-702-1600 or firstname.lastname@example.org.