Registration and Keys
All residents have to register at the front desk of their hall upon arrival.
- Upon registration, you will sign for the keys you will use. In the event of a room change, you must return your old room key(s) to the front desk within 24 hours before obtaining keys to your new room. If a room key is lost the lock must be changed. All keys must be returned to the front desk when you check out of and leave a residence hall. There is a $75.00 charge for any key (room, bike storage, mailbox, etc) that is lost or not returned at the end of the year.
- Duplication of residence hall keys is strictly prohibited and will result in disciplinary action.
- Students using their UChicago ID for access to their room (Max Palevsky, Granville-Grossman) must have it encoded at the front desk when they check-in or change rooms, and decoded when they depart the building. A lost ID is charged for at the Identity & Privileges Office when a replacement is made; there is no charge for re-encoding a UChicago ID at the front desk.
- Students who are locked yourself may obtain a temporary key at the front desk (not Max Palevsky or Granville-Grossman), which must be returned within one hour. Resident staff will be asked to speak with students who abuse this process by frequently obtaining keys. Additionally, charges will be levied for unreturned keys. For a key or card not returned, the Residence Hall Manager may determine to change the lock, initiating a $75.00 charge.
- Students living in Max Palevsky or Granville-Grossman will be provided an “unlock code” that will have an expiration date/time if they are locked out of their room. Resident staff will be asked to speak with students who abuse this process by frequently obtaining a code.
- There is a $25.00 improper check-out fee for Max Palevsky and Granville-Grossman residents who fail to have their ID card invalidated at the front desk upon moving out during the academic year.
- There is a $25.00 charge for failure to check out when moving rooms and/or for failing to check out at the end of the year.