UChicago is committed to the safety and security of its students, faculty, staff, and visitors to campus. In the residence halls we ask for students to assist in maintaining the security of the buildings. Examples include:
- Only residents of a particular residence hall may enter that residence hall by tapping their UChicago ID card on the black lock pad
- Displaying their UChicago ID card to the front desk clerk as they enter the building
- Not allowing individuals who are not their guests to enter the building behind them
- Closing doors properly and tightly (no propping)
- Locking their room door
- Reporting any suspicious activity to the front desk clerk
- Only residents and their signed-in personal guests are permitted to enter the residence halls.
- To sign-in, guests have to provide a photo ID to the desk clerk upon arriving to visit a resident. Guests must be signed out upon leaving the building.
- Residents are responsible for their guests at all times.
- No one should unlock or open an outside door to permit someone who is neither a resident nor guest to enter the building.
- Security screens and/or window stops are installed on all first floor rooms and on rooms adjacent to fire escapes and porches. These security devices must be in place at all times.
For additional information on campus safety and security, please refer to Common Sense.